Košice – European Capital of Culture 2013, non-profit organisation
(Košice – Európske hlavné mesto kultúry 2013, n. o.)
|Tel:||+421 556 854 299|
Mission and activities:
Košice is the first Slovak city to win the prestige title of European Capital of Culture, in competition with nine other Slovak cities. Apart from the interesting and unique concept of the Košice Interface 2013 project (note: space for communication and interaction), this metropolis of Eastern Slovakia captivated with its Austro-Hungarian history and post-socialist reality, original multicultural identity and its position as the second largest Slovak city, the metropolis of the Carpathian region as well as a city on the Schengen border. Košice has the ideal conditions for a successfully implemented and profitable project: Košice - European Capital of Culture 2013.
Košice – European Capital of Culture 2013 is a non-profit organization that is responsible for implementation of the project Košice – European Capital of Culture 2013. Its main objectives are following:
- To make a city, in which its inhabitants will love to live and to which tourists will be happy to return because of its particular atmosphere, wide selection of free time activities, regular and interesting cultural activities and historical sites in the city centre. Its suburbs, which have transformed the weaknesses of socialist architecture to their advantage, will also not be forgotten.
- To build a cultural infrastructure prepared for events of a European calibre corresponding to the needs of the 21st century.
- To expand the city centre with new objects for spending free time, build safe and cultural parks and new squares.
- To be a positive example of city development via culture from which others can learn. More than two decades after the Velvet Revolution, Košice has overcome barriers from the socialist past and managed to use them to its advantage.
- To overcome the anonymous and massive nature of the suburbs by active participation of their inhabitants in local cultural centres, producing innovative and creative ideas, inspiring city representatives in developing the city.
- To support creative industry and culture. Košice will therefore become the capital of innovation and creativity in Central Europe. Thanks to the ideal conditions created in a local Centre for Creative Economics, artists and designers from various parts of Europe will visit our city.
- To support international cooperation in the area of culture and creation of European projects as well as education in terms of culture and the arts.
- To build a city which will be a modern, dynamic and creative European metropolis.
Organizer has signed a co-operation agreement with the Agency to support the project POL-LOC.